Thursday, May 27, 2010

Here's Your Hat...





Though it sounds very Blondie (the comic strip, not Deborah Harry), I need one more (hat). It's so hot outside that I'm delaying errands until early evening (when the hail & thunder will no doubt arrive...timing is not my forté), hence the hat hunting. The b&w Nina Leen photographs were shot for fun. Perhaps that's why Suzy Parker popped the goofy number on her head. It's definitely a case of "one of these things is not like the others." (I love the blue dress.) And that's why I need one more hat; I miss my beloved messed-up (real) Panama. It's less girly when that is necessary & it has a coolness factor that I need.

Unfortunately, a few years ago, I left the hat in my mother's car. It was a somewhat contentious weekend & very hot, as well. I painted a lot of trellises, pruned a lot of roses, & whatever else was on her list. She popped out to do some errands & a pint of Ben & Jerry's was placed in the upended hat. Panama hats can withstand a lot of abuse, but a desert-battered chapeau will go to hat heaven when it becomes a Chunky Monkey Lake. I don't even like that flavor!

[I can't remember where I got the color Suzy pix but myvintagevogue has a very nice selection, so here's that link. The Panama is via Village Hat Shop (dot) com]

4 comments:

ceecee said...

Ice Cream in your HAT?! I'm so sorry. A loved Panama is a tough thing to replace...and they are getting outrageously expensive. I priced them at over 85.00 in Mexico. It's hotter than Hades here. I just walked around the park with a baseball cap on and had to remove it twice due to the heat. Nothing like a hat that breathes.
Catherine

Giulia said...

Yes, yes, yes. "Breathing" hats are essential. I still contend that it was a hostile act, The Chunky Monkey Incident. Yep, they are expensive...a decent one, woven in Ecuador or Panama, & blocked in Mexico is a minimum $85.00.

growl...

don't melt, Catherine.

Angie Muresan said...

Oh, so sorry to hear about your hat. All of mine are of the inexpensive sort, as my daughter begs to wear them and tends to either ruin or misplace.

lettuce said...

great hats!

and yes, I agree they do need to breathe