Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Geranium Kiss




The kings of Tyrus with their convict list/Are waiting in line for their geranium kiss- B. Dylan

The top image is by Hazel Smith of The Clever Pup & The Plum Plum. She generously whipped it up at the last moment for Giulia Geranium's 2009 blog anniversary. I've been caught up short again this year & thank her for allowing me to use it.

Always loved the image from Bob Dylan's Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands...& somehow it reminded me of the other photographs. These young women are searching for their perfect geranium mouth. I know that cosmetics were in short supply during & at WWII's end, but what a weird (& funny) way to choose a lipstick. From Nina Leen's wonderful 1945 shoot for LIFE.

I'm too tired to whip up & fold in the kings of Tyrus to the mix. Just enjoy musing on it, if you like.

Mille grazie, Hazel.

12 comments:

The Clever Pup said...

besos

Diane said...

love the illustration by CP
:-)

Giulia said...

Diane--I was so so surprised & happy last year when I saw it on Hazel's blog. A real piece of art--just for GG. It really makes me happy.

I left you a comment about the trip. Perhaps we just "missed" each other.

ciao!

PIGNOUF said...

French Kiss...!Giulia...:)

tina tarnoff said...

congrats, Giulia! two years...time just flies. love the illustration, hazel!

ceecee said...

Congratulations on the anniversary. Really love this painting by Hazel...and I'm nuts for Dylan. Lipstick is good too. Happy to visit with you again, Susan. Hope all is well. Kiss the kitty for me.
Catherine

Diane said...

Like your idea about leaving books for others to find... did you ever hear about book crossing? http://thingswelove2.blogspot.com/2009/01/love-and-leave.html

leaving in 7 days. someone is coming to stay with our cat, look after the plants, water the garden. one less thing to worry about while we're away!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HAPPY BLOG BIRTHDAY TO GG
as usual interesting images you find Susan.. and love your special Geranium image by Hazel... she has such a lovely style.. xx Julie

PS may have to send GG a cockatoo for her birthday. haha

Angie Muresan said...

Oh, I'm sorry to have missed Giulia's birthday. Happy Birthday to her! Those last images are certainly interesting. How do you find all your images? I am lost when it comes searching for photos.

Angie Muresan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Giulia said...

Oh Angie, you're so busy. I'll send you an email about searching....my restless mind has something to do with it. But there are some good sites with fair use & for non-profit blogs (as mine are)....ciao

Jen said...

This is such an awesome post!!!