Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Night Lights


Each day concludes in a huge splurge of vermilions/... And night arrives in one gigantic step.--from Two Campers in Cloud Country (Rock Lake, Canada)*, S. Plath

I've always wanted to see the northern lights (aurora borealis). Canadians & Americans in the north will see them tonight. (Maybe.) Cool NASA link. Goodness. Meanwhile, off to the bath. I'm looking at bath posts for ideas & as always, Tina Tarnoff has something inspiring on Thought Patterns. Ready for a Bath? from August 2009.

Good night you lucky, lucky people up north.

*the poem is not about death, no matter what lunatics write; it's about sleep. And vacations, holidays. And how beautiful Ontario was on a camping trip. The End.

[bath & tree bed via Verhext tumblr]

7 comments:

Katharine said...

Those are wonderful photos and I do like that poem. Sorry that you've never seen the lights. They are spectacular. Maybe next time, eh? Cheers.

Giulia said...

I hope so. Now everywhere I look, including in the Gardener's Supply catalogue...mentions of the northern lights.

I lived on/near Lake Erie from kindergarten through mid-6th grade. It's weird that I wouldn't remember. Oh well.

Mary-Laure said...

It's one of my dreams to go to Scandinavia and see an aurora borealis! Two of my friends are in Norway right now and I envy them - especially with this INSANE heat in NYC...

Angie Muresan said...

Oh! I love those photos. I could sit in that tub for hours... Or in that bed.

Giulia said...

Me, too, Angie. And I just realized that it's 10.21pm on a Friday night. I wasn't well enough to go to a party (I wanted to go) tonight. And so what do I do? Man. I'm logging off & going to watch some wonderful Brit humor DVDs. And then fall into bed & hope to sleep. Have a great weekend w/your little ones. It's so fun, isn't it? I know not all the time, but...

The Clever Pup said...

I love the tree bed. It reminds me of Babar's friend Zephyr and a myriad of other kid's stories.

I watched the Northern Lights from my own back yard once as a kid. It must have been August because the grass was cold. Beguiling.

Giulia said...

Yes, exactly. Hadn't thought of it at the time. It's so charming. I try not to think of the spiders that must be in there, though. The only spider I've ever liked is Charlotte.

How lucky to have seen the Northern Lights from your backyard. I shall try not to be envious. The very idea that August means "cold grass" is beguiling. All I see are burnt up gardens & yards. Except, it's not like actually burning here as in Russia (those poor people, terrible).