Monday, June 14, 2010

Red, Seeing Red, Red Room


Last evening, John Logan's play Red about artist Mark Rothko & his young assistant won the Tony Award for Best Play. Hoorah. In addition, I am seeing red about things of which I cannot speak, much less write. So. Red.

The Phillips Collection played host to actors Alfred Molina (genuis!) & Eddie Redmayne in March before the New York opening. (As did the National Gallery, but I am partial to the Phillips--where nothing bad can happen to you; it's not allowed.) Congratulations to Redmayne for his first Tony as Featured Actor in a Play.

The Washington Post article was exceptionally good, considering the downfall of the Post. There's a good image gallery & insight into Molina's (& Redmayne's) preparation. I adore Molina, so I did not have a jealous twinge that the pair had the Phillips & the famous Rothko Room to themselves. The Collection is closed on Mondays; the only day off for the actors is...Monday.

Speaking about color, Italia v Paraguay: Azzurri!

[Orange and Red on Red, 1957/The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C. via www.beyler(dot)com; the second photograph is via The Clever Pup, who has a brief post involving John Donne...& it's funny. So you see, you must go. Alas it is not her bedroom but the image can be found here.]

4 comments:

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hey Suzan
Well I love Alfred Molina too... another thing we have in common...

Hope your weekend was great... was a long weekend here.. but as you know it makes little difference to me...Have a great week and catch you by email soon... xxx Julie

The Clever Pup said...

Alfred Molina is great. Did you see him as Diego Rivera? He looks like the kind of guy that would be willing to be my friend. I think it's cuz he's English. I think most English guys have a great sense of humour.

I watched the Tony's and didn't know what Red was about so Thanks.

In this day and age of technologie, I'm amazed that musicals are still so popular. They seem positively archaic to me.

Giulia said...

Hi Julie. I hope you feel better soon. I'll see you in email.

Mme Pup - Oh yes, saw him in Frida. He was terrific; he's obviously quite good at portraying painters. I look forward to productions of Red elsewhere (or longer in NYC because of the Tony).

About musicals...your comment about technology, etc. might be what makes them so appealing to so many. I admit that I've liked
many the several years. Takes people some time, but suspension of the "why the hell are people bursting into song?!" thing can be overcome if it's a good book/music/etc. I write that as a well-known lover of tortured drama. Or dramatic torture. Or something:)

About the English thing. Yeah, well, OK. (But "willing to be your friend? They'd better be, the rotters. See? I can do Eng-speak.) But remember that Molina's dad was Spanish & his mother, Italian.

That seems to have warmed up the (funny-but-somewhat-cruel-funny) edges of other Englishmen. I say that as a fan of many of them...but my mother used to say, "Don't marry one!" Since English guys don't read this, I needn't worry that I just typed that.

xo

ceecee said...

I don't follow theatre, but the play 'Red' sounds like something I would like. Alfred Molina is so outstanding. I loved him as Diego Rivera...and in 'Enchanted April', too.

Catherine