Monday, May 25, 2009

I'll Be Seeing You


For Memorial Day. Picasso & Lee Miller, one of my very favorite photographers, in his studio during the Liberation of Paris. A woman applying lipstick on a break, near Washington, DC's Union Station. My grandmother's favorite song. I'll burst into tears if I say anymore. (I'm used to hearing Peggy Lee's version but can't find a video.) Julie London sounds as good as possible on a dial-up connection. (Please let me know if it's too awful. I can't figure out how to center it right now. )She is lovely, though & Julie the Cat is pleased (all that matters to a cat). Well, I give up, darn it. Now, the blasted thing won't come up on the screen at all. Here's a link anyway.

The Miller photograph is from a scan via personal copy of The Lives of Lee Miller, put together by her son Antony Penrose. Info here. There are so many gruesome war images in this apartment, including this book. They are necessary but I don't want to put them on the site.

ciao.

5 comments:

The Clever Pup said...

What about Dame Vera Lynn? I cry just thinking about it.

Giulia said...

Yes, I meant to say something about her but was rushing. Couldn't find it either. Blasted computer....

Penney said...

back ..will try and get my pix up tomorrow. hoping all is ok in DC with you...
xo,
penney

Tina Tarnoff said...

Gosh, I love Lee Miller. There was an exhibit of her photographs in San Francisco's MOMA last year that I saw. I adore her Self-portrait with a headband. xoxo

corine said...

I think I know some of the images you are referring to.

By golly that Picasso was a flirt.