Friday, October 8, 2010

Week's End - John in Black & White


The Beatles are in the middle of recording Strawberry Fields Forever, when John makes a guest appearance in a sketch for the Peter Cook and Dudley Moore Christmas show of Not Only But Also... John plays the doorman of a 'members only' gents lavatory. The outside shots were filmed in Broadwick St, London W1. (from The Beatles/Unseen Archives, compiled by Tim Hill & Marie Clayton, Parragon Publishing, Bath, UK; my crummy scans from the book.)

I cannot find the photographer for these stills, so if anyone knows, let me know. We're lucky there's anything at all left of Not Only...because the BBC re-used so much film stock from it. (Though Peter Cook reportedly offered to pay for it). This was not John's first guest appearance on the show but the video available is the clearest for this sketch. He's quite funny in it, too. This bewilders many YouTube Youth. (Yes, actually. I can imagine John at 70.) (Update - click here for GG's post & the link to Imagine Peace website where you can leave birthday wishes.) Another update: From crivens, jings and help ma blog (yea, that's in Scotland:) - Alistair has posted a wonderful video of genius Peter Sellers interpreting A Hard Day's Night. If we couldn't laugh....

As Peter Cook would say, no matter the time, Good Evening.

10 comments:

secretfragileskies said...

LOVE this of John! "... the doorman of a 'members only' gents lavatory," as only he could play it. And John at 70, yes, I can imagine.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Susan
That first shot is wonderful.. such a look of innocence... we are lucky his music will be with us forever...

Have a wonderful weekend.. you and kitty kat! xxx Julie

ceecee said...

John was such a great wit. God I miss him. Thanks for your post, S.
Catherine

Angie Muresan said...

Susan, I can imagine John at 70, too. I imagine his boyish charm would age well.

Alistair said...

Thanks for the mention and the link!

Cheers......Al.

Mary-Laure said...

First of all, THANK YOU for your precious post about the Nobel prize. I was living in China in 1989 so this prize means a lot to me. Lots of emotions here in my heart.
Vaclav Havel - one of my heroes.

Now about John Lennon. I love him of course but must confess... Paul was my fave Beatle.
Did you hear the tribute to Lennon on Fresh Air (Friday)? It's really great.

simon said...

oh oh oh....um... I must be the only person who does not like John Lennons work.. :o/

I do appreciate it in terms of history and the "revolutionary" way it altered pop music, but I cannot listen to it from a pleasure persepctive..

LOVED Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, they were a scream! :o)

Rachel Wright {The Inspired House of Wright} said...

Very very cool, there is just something about a black and white photograph. Love your blog by the way!

Susan said...

Hi everyone. I'll leave messages for all of you soon & visit. I'm feeling unwell. But I didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring their comment. Thanks so much for leaving them. xo

Diane said...

I love the photo for Chimes of Freedom... the shade of blue, the bird caught in the blur of flight, a soft fist that is not a fist. A perfect choice for a blog about the Nobel Peace prize.

And then John, and the song Give Peace a Chance becoming a chant in my mind.