Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Business, With the Cloud

There is a new exhibit at the Corcoran Gallery of Art & I will see it (the title is same as post, I'm not that clever). I don't like to say anything until I have done so, but the reasons are vented below. (So you can stop reading if you're sick of venting. However, it is not political venting.) Here's the review in The Washington Post. Update: Really, really click through the first link. Spencer Finch is such a wonderful artist & the little video is well-done.

The above wasn't in the plan (such as it is) but Strasbourg & environs photo searches have made it clear that the new-to-me printer must be installed to scan personal ugly old photographs. Too many online are quite nice--too nice. They do not capture the way it was then; it's too cleaned up, too fancy. Isn't there something between falling apart & overly groomed artifice? Yes, of course.

I inside-my-head shrieked as dishevelled people ambled by an Amnesty Int'l table (where I was turned down more than once by Muslim-phobe liberals & left wingers about petition signing, so there ya go, oof. No one "side" has purchase on idiocy, though it leans heavily...oh I said, no political venting.). I felt a paragon of style in jeans, a clean linen shirt, & sandals. Seriously. My hair was brushed. What is it with Americans walking about in pajamas & disgusting, stinky footwear? I thought,
wow, if we were in the poorest neighborhood in Rome, it wouldn't look like this. The junkies clean up more than these people. Believe me, there are a lot of slobs in Rome. But during a festival or on Sunday, people do put on clothes before leaving home.

So it would seem, Haughty Madame, that you are advocating shabbiness in towns, but not people? No, of course not. But some places I lived, visited quite often have spiffed up so much that it's off-putting, sterile. I can almost (almost!) understand people who visit those theme parks (& Las Vegas) & pretend that they're Europe.

There are a couple of good shots of what I want & I'll post those later. Seems that if I write poems & prose (not travel writing) about Strasbourg & Alsace, I'll have a market, if I can create it.
(Tim Walker photograph via the Telegraph)

6 comments:

ceecee said...

Times Square really isn't Times Square anymore. I want that little sense of danger (It wasn't really a 'sense' though, was it?) or else it doesn't feel like NY.
Catherine

ceecee said...

Thanks so much for the link to the article and video at The Washington Post. Finch's work is amazing. I would fly to the Corcoran if I could. Made my day, Susan!
Catherine

Giulia said...

Catherine--I'm so glad! (your second comment...I wish you could fly here, we could go together.)

And the first...yes. You know it's that balance. I really really don't want to go back to fearing for my life there or anywhere. I remember an idiotic move I made once on a late Saturday evening in way Upper West side. I decided I had to have the early Sun NYTimes edition. Uh oh. But I wouldn't do that now here, there, or anywhere.

I know you know what I mean. Anyone who sees this, go visit Catherine's beautiful blog. She used to live in NYC & early enough in her life to make a real difference later. This is another theme I've been on about & now I'll shut the hell up. (For a minute.)

secretfragileskies said...

Love the post, love the conversation. Thanks!

Welcome! said...

hi! I just stumbled upon your sweet little blog today and couldn't help but hit the follow button! I look forward to following your adventures in the future! xo kate

Giulia said...

SFS-Thank you...Catherine is so interesting.

Kate--Hi, petite choue (I popped over to your pretty blog)...& you posted about chocolate. Shriek. I'm glad I saw it after I returned from marketing. Oh, & Giulia has a much nicer blog & better adventures. Her "address" is above right in sidebar under "Julie presents..." (she has delusions of grandeur, what else can I say?)

ciao