Friday, September 17, 2010

Acquainted with the Night

Acquainted With The Night is one of the most famous examples of an American poem written in terza rima. (So says Wikipedia & that happens to be correct.) I haven't been reading Frost lately, who is not a huge favorite. It's just my lazy, quick way to post a title that does not say "Oh my %#$@(*&, I have to go to a clinic overnight for this now." Not tonight but soon. I'm so floopy & weirded out that I probably cannot make it to Carol Gillot's reception this evening (see post below). Mimph. Whine. Snarl. Week's End post that will be, if not hilarious, then somehow funnier. (Tim Walker & yes, I'll find other photographs soon. Vogue UK 2006)

Update already - Breaking news from any number of literary listservs, etc. Oprah just announced that Freedom is her next book club choice Maybe I'll hop in to the Franzenphilia/phobia-festival after all.... No, I don't watch her anymore (in years). Yes, I read The Corrections the day it was published (OK, well it took a week to read & should be cut by 200+pages.) I'll be reading Freedom, too, I can't buy it at the moment.

I've started to feel sorry & concerned for Franzen's mental health now. Another reason for not sleeping. Oprah--how dare you? Couldn't you have consulted me & waited until next week? (For Antipodean pals...I don't know if it's published there yet, though it has been in UK. BTW, it cannot have gone unnoticed that The Oprah is on her way to Australia. Hold onto your hats. Oy.)

2 comments:

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hey Susan
Yes I heard that Oprah is heading this way.. there been coverage on what it is costing our tax payers [me! haha] but they say it will be worth it with increase in tourism.. so.. interesting..

So do you have to go to a sleep clinic? i wouldn't be able to do it.. I'm such a fussy sleeper..

Okey dokey.. have a great Sunday.. xxx Julie

OH.. and good luck with pc probs..

Susan said...

Julie--Full report soon. Ugh is all I can say.

Re: Oprah. I do not see how this will increase tourism to Australia. Gazillions of people would love to visit...the flight costs have always been prohibitive for a large section of North American travellers. I don't see how that will be different. And the Sydney Oprah Opera House? Or whatever...changing the name for the 8 days...it's so dumb. The world gets weirder. How is that possible?

xo