Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In Moments of Quiet


Now, it isn’t that I don’t like you, Susan because after all, in moments of quiet, I’m strangely drawn towards you… but there haven’t been any quiet moments.” -Cary Grant as Dr. David Huxley, Bringing Up Baby, 1938

Several boyfriends know just how Cary feels. (They're still my friends, though. I think that speaks well of me. And Julie is nothing like that naughty Baby.) Only Cary could look handsome wearing Kate Hepburn's clothes.

I had photographs of people running, but nothing quite does it today. I'm running only in my mind. I was an unofficial cop (again!) on Saturday, feeling tottery, & in clothes not fit to be seen - maybe even by Julie the Cat. I stayed up too late rereading Enduring Love because Marie-Laure at AUREA is reading it & I wanted to discuss it with someone. This completely undid the relaxation of re-watching Annie Hall.

And (her voice rising), I'm being tempted by a friend: Do you want your birthday gift on Wednesday or on your birthday? Oh no. Decisions. Could you resist this? "I battled Huns, Goths, Mongols, Vikings, Zulus, Picts, and Celts...at...to...obtain.."

So, I'm posting dumber stuff than usual for a week if you want to skip checking in. I need to maintain a schedule & this is why I'm not 'gone fishing'. As always, there are good links here & on Giulia Geranium. I've seen so many good posts today & over the weekend that if I link to them, the feedburner thingy will blow up both blogs.

(But I recommend checking out the Truthiness Rally - or Operation Strike of Truthiness--this is a fluid story-- by Stephen Colbert fans. It really does help to laugh. Aussie & European friends, it really is funny & not just American. Friends in Turkey & elsewhere who can't understand English, if you're translating this, facial expressions are funny, too. As evidenced by the film stills above.)

Cheers & I'll do better tomorrow. Really.

[photograph via many tumblrs, here]

6 comments:

simon said...

Love the quote! and posting about Dumber stuff can be strangely soothing! ;o)

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hey Susan
I love Bringing Up Baby.. although having said that I haven't seen it in years!! do remember a lot of commotion though!!

So... hint hint.. must check my calendar!! xxx Julie

Mary-Laure said...

Thanks for mentioning me! How do you like Enduring Love? I don't want to say anything until you've finished it.

As for Cary Grant, you know I'm a fan, though Bringing Up Baby is not my absolute favorite. As far as Katherine Hepburn goes, I can never watch Adam's Rib too many times, with its dialogue and genuine choreography.
Oh and what's the other one, where Cary Grant is supposed to marry Katherine Hepburn's sister? Holiday, no? It's genius!

Jen said...

Love, love, love Bringing Up Baby! And Truthiness of all flavors.

Hope the week has gotten better.

Giulia said...

Hi guys.

Bringing Up Baby, I have to confess, often irritates me. I cannot help it: Hepburn's voice grates on my nerves. But I do laugh at the gags, etc. And how can I resist a leopard? It was on public television recently & I laughed when I heard the quote that I put in. More than one person has used that one me...in good humor.

Jen who left a note...the week is weirder, maybe better. I haven't decided yet:)

Penney said...

Loved this!! Love that Carey...
P