Saturday, February 20, 2010

Week's End - Ode to Rome


John Keats died in Rome on 23 February 1821. I may not post next week but could not let the occasion pass without comment. As reported previously, I have embarrassed at least one relative in the Keats-Shelley House & at the Protestant cemetery. I feel less an idiot upon reading that no less a personage than Oscar Wilde prostrated himself for 25 minutes at the grave. (I'm making my way--at last--through Andrew Motion's biography of Keats.)

Giampaolo Macorig's beautiful photograph would have been Keats's view as he walked on the Pincio those last few months. The image of his signature is from the Keats-Shelley House & the organization's website is looking quite spiffy these days; do take a virtual visit. It's very much a destination for writers (& others) living in & visiting Rome. The story of the acquisition of the house is one of cooperation among Anglophones in Rome. (For once. Ahem.)


And finally, here is a sweet article I just saw in the Observer by a reporter who went to Rome with his girlfriend--in search of Romance (& Keats). It has a much happier ending than that of John & Fanny.


Update: Thursday, 25 Feb. (Read in whiny voice.) If we don't lose power (again!), I'll be back next week. Maybe Saturday.

10 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Lovely blog! Happy to have found you!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Dear Susan
Beautiful post!! it that photo looking across to the Vatican? At first I thought it was Florence... Now I will have to dig out my Vatican shots and compare.. the domes etc.. hahaha... That photo is just beautiful!!!

Hope next week is productive for you... Have fun xx Julie

Angie Muresan said...

How funny! My word verification is *morgue,* as if it knows that you mentioned the word grave. Love your wit!

Giulia said...

Angie...I love the word verification possibilities, too. There's quite a little tempest going on re: word verification, etc. on some blogs. It doesn't bother me if people have it & now & again I feel inspired by them. Just left a quick comment on a blog & word v. was "howcheesie" !!! It was a style blog. Even though I feel rather wretched, that made me laugh out loud. Scared the cat.

Will visit again soon.

cheers.

Parisbreakfasts said...

I get your drift about the wordie thing..
One feels it's so serendipitous at times, though I've yet to see THAT word...
So far that is...
I have no word verification thus far-must be why les Chinoises feel so at home at PB.com
:)
Eeep..I got Immus!
How dare they

Susan said...

Immus!? How dare 'they' indeed!

Merisi said...

Ah, that view! How often have I walked from the Pincio either down to Piazza San Popolo or over to the Spanish Steps, descending there, passando Keat's home, looking in the window at Babington's Tearoom (last time I checked, tea and mini-scone was more than 20 Euros! When I was still in school, my pocket money was just enough to afford a cappuccino at the counter of the Grand Alemagna at Via del Corso (sadly gone now), watched the Gucci-foularded and Fendi wrapped Signore buy goods for a feast I could only dream of. It was always great theater, though. Roma, la strega!

Merisi said...

"Redheaded Renaissance Cat" - in boots?

*smile*

Susan said...

la strega, indeed:) I shouldn't be shocked at 20 euros at Babington's, but I am. Good weekend, Merisis.

ciao e baci

Micaela said...

beautiful.

i actually just watched "Bright Star" the other day after waiting ages to see it... i'm curious to know your thoughts on the film?

can you imagine a love like theirs? ...

xoxo