Monday, January 3, 2011

Beauty Secrets

I laughed when I saw this amusing Nickolas Muray photograph from the George Eastman House collection. My newly-in-touch friends from Strasbourg asked several things the past two months but often the first (& most asked): do you still roll your hair in socks? Answer: sometimes. So I guess it wasn't so secret...apparently I paraded around with argyles & stripy socks in my ridiculously long hair. (It really works.)

I'll be back sometime this week
. Feeling not-so-well. I received some wonderful toys (video-cam, digital binoculars-wow) yesterday; but right now I'm going to draw a full bath & dip into a L'Occitane goody box--almond oil. Yum.

11 comments:

simon said...

well, I hope you feel better soon!

carina said...

Hope you feel better soon. Have to try that trick:-)

secretfragileskies said...

Wonderful posts these past few days but this!!! When I was a child, my mother tried to get my perfectly straight hair to curl with socks! What a great memory. Thanks and feel better. Happy New Year! :)

simon said...

I have only ever used socks on my feet and they have not made my feet curl (which is a good thing I guess)..

Oh- now you have binoculars- you MUST buy a bird book and start looking!

Giulia said...

Thanks, guys. I'm dragging, ugh. Will catch up w/everyone asap.xo

Julie@beingRUBY said...

okey dokey.. would love to see the pics of you with argyles in your long lock!! haha sounds amusing!!

Hope you feel better soon Susan!!! xxx Julie

bijuterii said...

"do you still roll your hair in socks?".. I have never heard such thing.. and it really works?.. I will try it this weekend :)

Diane said...

this looks like Peggy from Mad Men.
Don't you think?


Get better soon.

Giulia said...

Julie--Hey, I'll look. You never know what boxes of old snaps will turn up.

Bijuterii--Yep. It works. But I've not tried it in about a year. If you've never seen it, rent Sense & Sensibility w/Emma Thompson & Kate Winslet. I do believe you will see a fine example of this lost art:) (Its also a great film if you've not seen it.)

Diane--you know what? yes..around the mouth & eyes. Will go look at my favorite timewaster - A Basket of Kisses blog - & look a pix of E. Moss.

I'm trying to feel better. But...oof.

Becky said...

Might try this!

Leigha said...

Fun picture!

Hope you feel better...

Leigha