Thursday, November 4, 2010

Drawing Fashion

Early evening/overnight diversion. (Also I'm getting weird email.) A new exhibit at London's Design Museum on fashion illustration. Good slideshow on BBC. (Moving this to Thursday. Raining & running behind here.)

From the Design Museum website:

"Drawing Fashion celebrates a unique collection of some of the most remarkable fashion illustrations from the twentieth and twenty first centuries. These original works define the fine art of illustrating fashion, from the collections of Chanel, Dior, Comme des Garçons and Poiret as well as Viktor & Rolf, Lacroix and McQueen. This exhibition showcases fashion illustrators at their creative heights: Lepape at the beginning of the century, Gruau in the 40's and 50's, Antonio throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s, to current artists Mats Gustafson, Aurore de la Morinerie and François Berthoud. Film-clips, news reels, music and photography will sit alongside the original illustrations to reflect not only the spirit and the style of the decades but also the wider social and cultural changes of the century.

It will be the first time this collection, which was put together over 30 years by Joelle Chariau of Galerie Bartsch & Chariau, has been displayed." (image by François Berthoud via artnet(dot)com)

7 comments:

simon said...

weird email?? I am going to send you one! ahahah.....of a cat

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Lovely diversion Susan
ciao xxx Julie

Emily said...

Ooh, I'm off to London in a couple of weeks and then before Christmas so I'll have to catch this wonderful exhibition. I love the power of the stiletto image and will check out the BBC website too. Thanks for keeping me up to date!

Giulia said...

Everyone: Simon just sent me photographic evidence of his cat post-poodle haircut. Wondering if this is against any Australian animal welfare laws. ha!

Julie--zanks.

Vanessa--I'm so glad to hear this will useful & I hope to hear about your trip(s) to London. I'm going to download a podcast from the site & see if worth recommending. I love that image too...it's in the exhibit. Much to learn (me) about this subject.

simon said...

yes it is! Actually he asked us to do it- its his new post waive punk rock look....

jane said...

i got this email too - sounds really interesting! plus any excuse to go to the design museum shop is a good one...

Giulia said...

Simon--I'll deal with your need to goofify the cat in email:)

Jane--wow. You even got an email? I'm not so lucky. I was browsing all over BBC & so on & saw it. But I have signed up for email. For all the good it will do me here in DC. But I hope you & Vanessa (above, in Berlin but will be visiting) will report for us. I'm so curious about a "fashion debate" event at the museum tonight. (well, in about 2 hours by your time)